Project: MSF Europe Migration/ Balkan Projects
Starting Date: Immediately
Duration: 3 months (possibility of extension)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical and humanitarian action-driven organization that offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. The MSF movement is built around 5 operational centers (OC) supported by 23 sections and offices worldwide. The MSF-Mission in Greece provides humanitarian and medical assistance to the refugee and migrants populations fleeing conflict in their home countries and following a migration route via Greece and the Balkans towards Northern Europe.
Provide nursing care, treatment and follow-up of patients, according to doctors’ prescriptions, protocols applied in service and universal hygiene standards/precautions, in order to ensure the quality and continuity of care for the targeted population.
- Know, promote, implement and follow at all times the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, security rules and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensure high standards of hygiene of his/her working environment.
- Organize and carry out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, as well as assist them during consultations and other medical procedures. In particular to carry out dispensing medication on medications for psychiatric and chronic diseases.
- Ensure patients are properly received and installed in the health service. Ensures that patients with lack of autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements and comfort.
- Respect medical secret and confidentiality.
- Carry-out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients meaning assessment of their health state evolution, and identification of emergency situation or any deterioration,
- Participate in the department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance (carrying out inventories, carrying out stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover, ensuring no material is taken out of nursing area/wards without prior authorization, checking its quality and its functioning, storage conditions, doing follow-up of expired drugs, etc.).
- Carry-out and supervise administrative procedures and documents (fill in patients files, forms, consumptions, statistics, etc.), ensure an appropriate written/oral handover, and report any problematic situations and cases that may arise. fill in all necessary registers and health files, participate in data collection and keep doctors/supervisors informed.
- For ER and OPD nurse, ensure triage of patients in waiting areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care when necessary and referring them to the doctor.
- To support the access of patients to other health facilities through our referral system, accompanying patients, liaising with external health actors, and ensuring appropriate follow-up as outlined by the doctors.
- If applicable, identify Sexually Gender Based Violence victims and refer them to the medical team, so they can receive the necessary treatment.
- Knows and is aware of the importance and appropriate use of the Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit
- Sends material to be sterilized and recuperates it from sterilization.
- Education: Nursing degree (University level, AEI/TEI). Registration as a nurse
- Minimum working experience of two years in similar job. Desirable experience in MSF/ NGOs.
- Experience and/or interest in mental health activities
- Experience in working with vulnerable populations and victims of violence is an asset
- Languages: English language essential, French is an asset
- Knowledge: Computer literacy essential (word, excel)
- Teamwork, intercultural sensitivity, flexibility are essential
- Full time position
- Annual gross salary: According to MSF Salary Policy
- No relocation package
- Private insurance
Please send your CV and a cover letter in English at the following email address, quoting reference code "Nurse" in the subject line of the e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 25/08/2017
All applications will be treated in strictest confidentiality
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted