JOB GENERAL OBJECTIVE AND CONTEXT
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical and humanitarian action-driven organization that offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF remains fiercely independent of both governments and institutions. MSF also reserves the right to speak out to bring attention to neglected crises, challenge inadequacies or abuse of the aid system, and to advocate for improved medical treatments and protocols.
MSF rejects the idea that poor countries deserve third-rate medical services and strives to provide high-quality care to patients. Simultaneously, and with equal vigor, MSF continuously seeks to improve the organisation's own practices.
The MSF movement is built around 5 Operational Centers (OC) supported by 21 partner sections and 15 branch offices worldwide.
MSF partner section in Greece was founded as an Association in 1990 and is a partner of MSF Spain within the OCBA (Operational Centre Barcelona-Athens) network. The MSF Office in Greece is responsible for the recruitment of expatriate personnel for the missions, communication and fundraising activities, and program support to the operations.
Today, MSF has projects in more than 70 countries and employs more than 45,000 people across the world. Since its founding, MSF has treated over a hundred million patients – with 10.6 million outpatient consultations being carried out in 2017 alone.
The MSF Office in Greece has 30 staff members while more than 100 expatriates are working under MSF-GR every year in missions of MSF all over the world.
The section has set the following main long-term vision elements for the coming 4 years:
- Maintain high visibility of MSF in Greece and also improve the general understanding of MSF’s work and principles to specific target groups in civil society while focusing on fundraising.
- Strengthen organizational stability and put emphasis on Office culture respecting MSF values and principles.
- Play an active role in defining MSF-Greece’s place in OCBA.
- Maintain broad scope of MSF Greece’s operational support role of all OCs working in Greece, including the Alternative Governance Model in cooperation with OCG (Operational Center Geneva).
- Further strengthen MSF Greece’s role in regional activities in support of MSF international ambitions, including Human Resources.
The GD is accountable to the Board of Directors (BoD) of MSF Greece section and has direct and permanent relation with the President. Together they are the main representatives of MSF Greece at national and international level, bearing in mind the ultimate responsibility of the latter in all matters affecting the social mission of MSF as mandated by the General Assembly.
The GD is the head of a Management Team (MT) consisting of the Directors of the following departments: Medical Operational Support Unit of Athens (SOMA) Fundraising and Communications, Human Resources, Finance and Resources, who are responsible for the day-to-day management of the organization.
The GD ensures that MSF Greece adheres to all national laws governing Greek NGOs and employers as well as conforms to MSF principles.
The GD is a full member of the OCBA extended Management Team and is responsible for the implementation of partnership agreements between all sections and primarily between MSF GR and MSF SP. Also, participates in the intersectional steering and coordination of operational activities in Greece while is Head of the Alternative Governance Model in cooperation with OCG.
The GD is responsible for proposing and developing the long term vision, strategies and policies in order to ensure that MSF Greece evolves according to operational needs and the social mission. Also is responsible for implementing the annual plan as this is approved by the BoD and has to guarantee that the frameworks agreed by the General Assembly and the BoD are duly complied with.
1. Strategy Vision, Planning and General Management
- Ensures and leads the MT in the implementation of long term vision, strategies and policies that maximize its contribution to the OCBA and its operations as well as the wider movement.
- Prepares and regularly reviews the annual plan in cooperation with the MT.
- Ensures final budget responsibility and control.
- Identifies organizational opportunities and risks, overviews and steers the organizational risk management and implements appropriate structure, functions and processes.
2. Accountability to and Collaboration with the Board of Directors
The GD acts as intermediary between the BoD and the executive of the organization and is responsible for:
- Developing strategies and policies together with the MT to be decided upon by the BoD.
- Reporting regularly to the BoD about the organization’s performance and the progress of activities throughout the year.
- Providing all data necessary for decision-making and controlling of the organization.
- Liaising with the BoD and the association members to ensure their active participation in the international MSF movement.
- Supporting the BoD in building and strengthening the associative dimension of MSF Greece in accordance with the principles of MSF.
- Bearing legal responsibility for legal and financial agreements, jointly with the BoD.
3. External Representation, Advocacy, Lobbying and Networking in Greece
- Guarantees the sound reputation, coherent identity, image of MSF, jointly with the BoD.
- Represents –in coordination with the MT and the BoD- MSF to external contacts such as government and policy makers, Greece-based international NGOs, humanitarian agencies, think-tanks and academia.
- Actively advocates for MSF’s positions and interests, maximizing its impact on behalf of populations in danger with key constituencies, by playing a leading role in coordinating MSF Greece’s various advocacy efforts most notably the ones developed by SOMA Unit.
- Participates in major fundraising and recruitment opportunities.
- Plays an active role in defining MSF-Greece’s place in OCBA.
- Contributes to the strategic discussion on the operational policy of OCBA, as well as the planning and provision of the resources needed to deliver on the defined objectives.
- Participates in the reporting and planning cycle of OCBA.
- Participates in key strategic operational moments and actively contributes to the reflection and critical analysis about medical and humanitarian challenges, stakes and practices of MSF.
- Is member of the OCBA extended MT and contributes to the accountability of the OCBA MT.
- Ensures adequate flow of information between the OCBA and MSF-Greece MTs.
- Ensures adequate flow of information towards MSF-Greece representatives at OCBA executive and associative platforms.
5. International Collaboration & Networking
MSF Greece works to optimize its involvement to the international movement. In particular, it supports all efforts to bring MSF-Greece closer to operational activities. The GD works with the International Executive Committee and the International Secretary General to ensure that all MSF Greece's activities are in compliance with agreed international rules and procedures having as a responsibility to:
- Develop initiatives to give the MSF-Greece Office greater proximity to operational work.
- Develop partnerships for the better support of the social mission as delegated to MSF-GR.
- Participate actively in the Full ExCom and contribute to the relevant international working groups and selection committees in order to support and develop the objectives of the International Office.
- Engage with the MSF movement, as a whole, to represent MSF-Greece concerns at all levels of the international movement.
- Work closely with the BoD to brief the MSF-Greece representatives in the International General Assembly.
- Significant work experience in the humanitarian field
- Extensive management experience at a strategic level (minimum 5 years)
- Financial management skills (awareness of budgetary control and financial planning)
- Communication/Advocacy skills
- Diplomacy, Public Relations skills and Networking abilities
- Awareness of the Greek context and the reality of today
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Higher academic degree in Business or Public Administration, Public Health, Human Resources, Marketing or any related area
- Spoken and written Greek
- Spoken French and/or Spanish
- Strong network across the MSF movement
- Field or HQ experience with MSF
- Identification with MSF
- Commitment with MSF Principles
- Strategic Vision
- Result and quality-oriented
- Initiative and Innovation
- People’s management and development
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Intercultural awareness
- Planning and Organising
- Stress management
- Position based in the Médecins Sans Frontières- Athens Headquarters
- Full time position
- Annual gross salary: Based on MSF Salary Grid plus secondary benefits
Please submit your CV and a Motivation letter in English under the reference “General Director” by email to: email@example.com
Closing date:June 30, 2019
Only applications with CV and Motivation Letter will be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
All applications will be treated in strictest confidentiality